Today is the 17th death anniversary of Malika-e-Tarannum Madam Noor Jehan. Yes, it’s been 17 long years since South Asia’s queen of melody left us all, after she suffered from a prolonged ailment, at the age of 74.
Famous for her silken saris, bold eye make-up, unique hairstyles and glittering diamonds, Noor Jehan’s melodious voice touched millions and created a matchless blend of vocal gestures and emotional expressions, which interpreted feelings in a very surreal way.
On her death anniversary, here are nine facts about the undisputed queen of melody you may not know!
1) Noor Jehan was born as Allah Wasai on September 21, 1926 in Kasur.
2) Noor Jehan started her musical career from Calcutta at the age of nine as a singer child star.
3) She was renowned as one of the greatest and most influential singers of her time in South Asia and was given the honorific title of Malika-e-Tarannum.
4)After partition, she came to Pakistan and started her film career as actor singer and the first female film director with film Chann Wey in 1951.
5) She recorded about 10, 000 songs in various languages of India and Pakistan including Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi and Sindhi.
6) Noor Jehan ruled the film industry for more than 35 years and sung appropriately six thousand songs for Urdu, Punjabi and Sindhi films.
7) She was not only a celebrated playback singer but also a gifted ghazal singer.
8) In 1957 Noor Jehan was awarded the President Award for her acting and singing capabilities.
9) On December 23, 2000 Malika-e-Tarannum Noor Jehan died as a result of heart failure and is buried in Karachi.